Friday, December 22, 2023

Remembering Z

 Dear Z,

 I am penning these words for you with a lot of difficulty. WE met on the badminton “court” me as an amateur and you as a good player. We used to look forward to the evenings where initially we used to prop up a net between two bicycles and play badminton at Vrindavan Estate, where we all lived a s big happy family. The simple game then grew to a more serious sport where tournaments were organized and you were my mixed doubles buddy. You used to defend, protect and shield me from the opponents and yes we won several matches. Then I started experimenting my culinary “expertise” on both you and Faiaaz. You both along with Rohit became my “guinea pigs” for several of my dishes.

We played carrom board, watched Film Fare awards and you also introduced me to English pop music. I remember you taped several songs/genres for me, effortlessly several afternoons. Neither of us had a tape recorder but managed to use one from one of our neighbours.


You were a son to me and an older brother to Rohit-took him for his haircut on several occasions, baby sat him often. In fact you were like an older brother to several of the children I knew and used to come to my home.

I could not have done the workshops at Bal Bhavan without your support and patience. All the kids used to love you and look forward to spending time with you. I believe your tutoring in badminton led some of the kids to win prizes in tournaments.

You have interacted with my mother-in-law, played carom with her, interacted with my parents too. I remember my mom used to call you Xerox and Faiaaz as Fax, since she could not pronounce both your names.

You have gone too soon my friend, we may have not interacted a lot in the last few years. But whenever we spoke it was fun, laughter and happy times.


I will miss you and was hoping to meet you in Vadodara next month to eat the yummy akuri (I still can’t make it as well as you despite your training) and of course dhansak (which I refused to learn since I wanted to only eat what you made).

I am sure you will always hover around Dee and Zahan and Murphy-3 lovely people who had you in their life.

No comments: