Friday, June 5, 2015

SBM

SBM (Single Black Male) was the name given to this baby buffalo. A warm and gentle creature who was picked up from the streets as a hit-and-run case. We had to treat him for some major injuries and also castrate him. Every day at 1.00 p.m. he would walk to the window which was behind my desk in the office. He would push his wet nose and sniff and snort to announce his arrival. I used to feed him 2 chappatis (which of course was not sufficient for his diet J)), but perhaps served as a snack. 

The ritual continued every day, and soon I did not have to check my watch for my lunch time. At the stroke of 1.00 p.m., I would have this wet nose snorting and sniffing through the window and I would feed the 2 customary chappatis. The sweet and gentle looking SBM would just stroll around the campus, checking on the other inmates and minding his own business the rest of the day.

No comments: